Gabriel's shared items

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Unresolved Matters

After yesterday's shopping spree, I've checked off a few major items on my uni prep list. I shall now consolidate what is left.
  • Air Ticket
  • Banking
  • Insurance

Air Ticket
The most important item on the list now, but there's nothing much I can do about it at the moment. I've found a travelling companion, and his mother is sorta settling the details. We've almost made up our mind to travel on Emirates, as it costs $1200 as compared with the $1800 SQ is charging. If all goes accordingly, we'll be departing on 27 Sept in the wee hours of the morining.
It'll be an exciting trip as we'll be transiting in Dubai, and I've never been to the middle east before. But I'm concerned that transitting in another country might add complication to the immigration health requirements. That's one thing I'll need to find out...
And yes... I'll need to book the National Express coach to Cam online.

Banking
There are a few thing's I'd need to do:
The first and simplest is to get an internationally enabled Nets Card. I'll simply pop by a POSB office one day when it's convinient.
The other would be to get a credit card from the bank my father is using. Think he'll settle it for me...
The third would be to find out how I can create a HSBC account in Singapore. Will need to call them soon...

Insurance
I've personally never understood insurance policies before. All the plans look greek to me. But thankfully I've got a friend who is helping me find out about these plans, and my parents have a few friends in the business. So would be getting a few samples of insurance policies, and lots of keen advice. The challenge would be chosing the right policy and committing the right amount of money...

Wow, in 7 weeks I'd be on my way to begin a new, exciting, unprecedented phase of my life. Wait a min... Isn't every phase of life as unprecendented? Ok, a quick search of answers.com yields a few synonyms of exciting: exhilarating, thrilling. I'm still coming to terms with it.

A look back on the applications process:
Application to UCAS. Application to Cam. Fees, Personal Statements, Teachers Referal, Interview, Test. Offers, Offers, More Offers, Cam Conditional Offer. Finance, IELTS. Prob with Finance, no time for IELTS. Deliberation, Hope, Despair, Abandonment. Bursary Form. Rekindled excitement, Teacher's Recommendation. God's Providence. IELTS. British Council, Mugging, Day Course. ORD!!! Test. Final Criteria. Prep for Trip. IELTS Results, EXCELLENT! Visit to Cam. Beauty, Utopia, Dreams to Reality. Confirmation of Acceptance. Numbness. Settled Accom. Back to Sg. Now What? Overwhelming Prep. Passport Photo, Visa, Exit Permit, Medical Exam. Exit Permit Approved! British Council Briefing. Excitement. Medical Exam. Settled Medical. Visa Approved! Stationary, Toiletries, Clothes, Winter Wear, Lugguage.

And here I am now. 50 days from Day of Departure.

No comments: