Gabriel's shared items

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Washing, Ironing, Brewing Tea, Making Pizza, Living Life!

Tuesday 4 Oct 2005
Did laundry in the morning. £1.70 - £1.20 washing, £0.50 drying. Clothes not entirely dry after like half an hour of tumbling in dryer. So keeping my lights on in the day, and hanging my damp socks and tower near it to dry. Think I can afford doing laundry once every 2 weeks. Don't need to change very often in this weather. Gotta buy some washing powder. Under £2 for enough washing powder for 10 washes.

Also met my DOSat the CMS. Arranged for supervision. Met Allan too. Academic life not as interesting as I anticipated. Hope it gets better. Haven't been able to mix well with the mathmos cos they already have their college cliques and I'm the only lonely mathmo from hughes hall. Going to have supervisions with the peterhouse mathmos, hopeing I'd be able to click with them... the ang mo's here aren't as friendly as those back home... hm... Probrably as a chinese here, being a minority and requiring company, I tend to be more friendly that I would be back home, an explaination for the discrepancy in the observation.

Consolidating my supervision times:
Friday 1500 @ CMS: N&S with Dr Andrew Plater
Wednessday 1800 @ Peterhouse: DE with erm... gotta find out his name...
K, that's the most important appointment.

Online Haunts
These are some websites I'd have to access on a regular basis. So putting the links here before I find the time to update my webpage...
HSBC
nectar
Cambridge email login page


Lectures
Just had my first proper lecture today. Algebra and Geometry, and Differential Equations. Was ok, was lost halfway through the proof of chain formula in differential Equations, but in the end was quite relief to see that the conclusion was a formula I am familiar with. Algebra and Geometry was also ok, but somehow I don't seem to be anticipating the lecture or following the professor's train of thought. Could be because there are no lecture notes, or maybe I haven't read up enough. Hopefully my college gets the reccommended text for Algebra and Geometry soon so that I can read up prior to the lecture. Oh yeah, came accross a few lexicons in the math lecture today. These lecturers at Cambridge like to sound cheem. Nevermind, shall Answers.com their meaning...

N.B.
An abbreviation for the Latin phrase nota bene, meaning “note well.” It is used to emphasize an important point.

a priori
From what goes before; from cause to effect.

n-tuple
In mathematics, a tuple is a finite sequence of objects (a list of a limited number of objects). (An infinite sequence is a family.) Tuples are used by mathematicians to describe mathematical objects that consist of certain components.

Ham Radio
Just came back from a ham radio meeting at a certain maypole pub. Wat a nerdy bunch! I felt at home immidiately. There are 4 of us freshers, and they own a radio station inconspiciously named "the shed" about 15 min bike ride away. Hopefully would get a chance to visit it one day... Hoping to understand radio transmissions better by joining this club, and perhaps in future, establish free communications back home! Ok, that's a lil far fetched, and communications now is already free anyway... Hope to learn enough to send and receive radio transmissions with home made devices =P

And one last note, finally got msn access! using web msn... Ok, added that to the online haunts... It's so comforting to see everyone on msn... a piece of what i'm used to at home. But it's very laggy. I need a laptop.

Speaking of which, ah no air tickets home to get my laptop! sigh... will search this out another day... getting tired...

No comments: