Gabriel's shared items

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hermes got spammed!

just saw the first piece of spam in my university mail account, which until now has been spotlessly clean!

The title was
"HELLO IS ME ,......................"

from a certain
BARRISTER PASTEINER ROBERT JOHN

There have been parallel reports of exactly the same email from other hermes users. If you've been hit, please tag so we'll know how widespread this contagion is :P

Oh me oh my! I hope the university computing service does something about this soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"There have been parallel reports of exactly the same email from other hermes users. If you've been hit, please tag so we'll know how widespread this contagion is :P"

Eh? Is this a quote from the e-mail, or a statement. If the latter, how are you going to 'tag' it - as far as I know there is no method for reporting spam back to the UCS (it may be possible to report information back to a non-cambridge server, which eventually may be useful).

"Oh me oh my! I hope the university computing service does something about this soon!"

The UCS has blacklisting, whitelisting and SpamAssassin which is regularly updated. This catches almost all spam. Obviously some spam will not be recognised, but this can't be avoided (also, you don't state what filtering you have, what spamassassin rating this was given (view full headers, X-Cam-SpamDetails: ...). It might have been just not quite big enough to be above the filter.

Robert
-- www.srcf.ucam.org/~rec53

Gabriel Wu said...

it's a statement. My friend received exactly the same spam. The word tag refers to commenting on the tagboard. I just wanted to do my own little survey of how rampent the spam is.

Anonymous said...

some people have spam will travel