Gabriel's shared items

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Taking Stock

EXAMS!!!
Ok, 3 more weeks to the exam, and the fact is starting to hit me hard!

3 subjects - maths, physics, advance physics, and all i can say is that i think i'm only decently prepared for maths, and still need to do a lot more work for both physics. Still cant do quantum mechanics!!!

On a bright note, received my lab report last Friday at the "Head of Class Meeting", and the Head of Class was rather pleased with my work! A great contrast to the lab report I handed in last term.

Looking beyond the exams, summer and MIT plans did not work out, but that's good too. Means more time back home, and will be a comfortable year ahead.


Summer
- Looking for something worthwhile to do over summer. Eying two Astar research institutes - Data Storage Institute, and Institute of Micro Electronics, or perhaps a DSO internship. Could pop by the Quantum Computing Group at nus too! Will be borrowing the book "Structure Computer Organization" home over summer, and hoping to gain lots from it!

- Also thinking that I might like to teach, either at SAJC, or at NUS High School. Could also take up a few tuition students. But hope that I'd still be able to teach properly despite not having teaching as a day job.

- And think i'd attempt the GRE's this summer, in case I decide on graduate studies in the US after my third or fourth year.

- Just received an email from the Investment Club about an investment game. Thought it might be a good way to be introduced to the stuff of investment banking.


Wild Idea
Next year will be a lot more comfortable now that I wont be going to MIT. Should be much better prepared for the work I'd be facing. Thinking of how I might make more full use of my time next year, and a wild idea came to mind - Rowing!

Physiotherapist appointment last Tuesday diagnosed cartilage problems with my right knee and left ankle, attributed the problem to flat feet, and wear and tear of the joints, probably arising from prolonged marches with heavy loads. Tried running today, out of sheer lethargy, and found the legs still rather problematic.

I thought that with my legs in this state, rowing might be a good low impact sport to engage in. And what better way to experience the Cambridge tradition, plus enforce a disciplined routine and a healthy lifestyle than rowing?

Might try it in Michaelmas, and see how well my life wraps round it. If my whole routine collapses on me from the commitments, then I'd just cease it after the term.


Immediate Future
As of now, need to craft emails to the A-star Institutes, and beg them to give me an internship. Then it's off to mug, *wheeze*, mug ,*deep breath*, mug, *exhale*.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

heya! just dropping by to wish you luck for the mugging! hope everything's going ok!

and chocolate is good for you (:

patched-up said...

hey bro! awesome. those are some plans that you've got there. i'm so impressed and i even feel inadequate when i see what u plan to do and what i'm doing. haha.. it's world's apart man.. when will you be coming back? -alvin.

Gabriel Wu said...

Hey relax, dude! you just came out of army - it's just that depressing phase you go through when you feel you've got to catch up with the world... Outlook will get better with time, it took me more than a year to snap out of that depression, and find my footing in life...

Will be back in July, and will try to get involved in church when i get back - cant stand rotting at home! Hope to see you around more often then :D

And Yuch, thanks for telling me chocolate's good for me! Needed to know that... I seriously hope they find something good coming from eating chocolate, or else I'm very screwed :S