Gabriel's shared items

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Dinner at Kenny's, Ham Radio, CCCF CG, StAG.

Those are some of the interesting things that happenned since my last post.

Mathmo Company
Hoping to hang out with the Fitz mathmos more often. Shagnik's an entertaining fellow. Random Shagnik quote from A&G Lecture.
"You take that cone, put a sphere on top, and you get an ice-cream."
All said very matter-of-fact'ly.

Church
StAG today was good. Still on Romans 12. Lunch discussion today visited the reasons we study. Very appropriate topic to be discussing in this academic town. Points from the discussion:
"Studying is a celebration of God's creation. Be Enthusiastic!"

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
- Col 3:23
I need enthusiasm...

Learning to Cook
I seriously need to learn to do some cooking myself! I am currently sitting in my room at 6.20 pm, without the option of affordable dinner at my college, because they are not opened on Sundays. I have some friends arranging dinner at a restaurant somewhere in town, but it's going to cost £10. I'll probrably just join them as we're all going for the cumsa bop later on...

Now that I'm put in this situation, I am seriously thinking of all the parts one needs to put together to get to make a meal. I'm also wondering if cooking myself would translate to substantial savings anyway... Nevertheless, let me try assessing the cost of a possible meal, and list the item's I'd need to get....

Dishes:
  1. Vegetables,
  2. Meat,
  3. Egg.,
  4. Rice.
Sounds like a typical meal from a mixed rice stall.

Ingredients:
  1. Vegetable, Chicken, Egg, Rice. (the easy part)
  2. Garlic, Sauces, Oil.
  3. Pots, Pans, Laddles.
  4. Knives, Preperation Equipment
  5. Stolve, Rice Cooker.
  6. Towels, Detergent.
No wonder I haven't cooked yet.

Things I need to do...
  1. Search for an affordable local vegetable. Learnt from previous cookouts that vegetables shrink dramatically when subjected to the extremes of temperature. So need to get more vegetable than what is perceived to be sufficient.
  2. Get Chicken, Egg, Rice.
  3. Get Garlic, Onions. Can ask Lisheng to get them from his church friend with a garden... Which reminds me that I can get vegetables from there too!
  4. Get Oil and Sauce: Soya, oyster, what not... Find out where to buy it.
  5. Get rice cooker from Jack, borrow pots and pans from neighbour. I hope I'll have enough utensils... Assess my options if I realise that I lack essential equipment halfway through the operation.
On second thought, maybe I'll just look for an alternative college to go to for meals.

Maybe I'll try a simple Soya Chicken with rice first. In case I'm stuck in the same situation. In this case,
Ingredients = {Chicken, Soya Sauce, Rice}
Equipment = {Pot, Rice Cooker}
Dinner = HeatPot(Chicken, Soya Sauce) + HeatRiceCooker(Rice)
If only it were that easy.

No comments: