Gabriel's shared items

Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Week Gone By...

Play, Cookout, Jazz at StAG, History of Math lecture, Visit to the Center for Quantum Computing... Roughly one event a day since I last blogged...

Cookout on Sunday!
Had Singapore Curry Chicken, Onion and Mushroom Omellette, Mixed Vegetables for the main course, Oranges and Peach for fruits, Crynsenthemum and Red Wine for drinks!

Atushi contributed the vegetables and wine, and Choon Howe contributed the peach, and we had a really fulfilling meal!

The curry chicken went quite well, considering Atushi's compliments that the chicken was very tender. This could probably be attributed to me losing track of the time I've been boiling the chicken. The instructions said boil chicken for 15 -20 minutes, I think I left it in there for something like half an hour... But it turned out to be a good thing. Forgot the potatoes, but wonder if the potatoes would make the meal any nicer, and whether it would be worth the mess and hassel to peel the potatoes. Furthermore, I dont have a potatoe peeler. Another thing I'd need to get. Oh yes, and can opener!

Rice: One cup full of rice can feed a grown guy satisfactorily, and 1 kg of rice runs out after 6 cup full. So one grown guy can consumes approximately 130g of rice in a meal.

Finally got round to making the Crynsenthemum brought over from Singapore. Originally had the problem of straining the tea leaves, flowers rather, out... Decided to brew the concortion in the thermal flask on Sunday... Killed two birds with one stone that way: Water is kept hot, and tea leaves are removed without a hassel. And I'm using the thermal flask, which has been quite under utilised. One problem is that the capacity of the flask is actually very limited. It amounts to one mug full of fluid. So have to perform the procedure multiple times to get substancial volume of cryncenthemum. And one themal flask full of cryncenthemum goes with approximately 4 teaspoons of sugar.

So much for the cookout... Think I'll arrange to cook with the portrugues mathmos this weekend...

Jazz at StAG
Quite a nice event... It's amazing how the decorations can change a regular Focus dinner into such a posh looking event! Nice music, good food... Hagan daz ice-cream, After Eight chocolates. Conned Alvin along, he didn't regret it...

History of Maths Lecuture
That's the best lecture I've been to here in Cambridge! It's informal and informational at the same time! And I get quite a good understanding of the transition of the ancient civilisations to modern day Europe. It's on every Wednessday and Friday, and it's in between my supervisions, so guess it'll be a good way to relax between them. Think my supervisions this week went quite well... Perhaps because feeling the pressure letting up with the term drawing to a close.

Visit to CQC
Met Andrea, the Russian Quantum Physicist Fellow from my college, today at the CMS. Finally got a chance to follow him round his office. The office itself was not very intersting, just a regular office at the CMS. But they did modelings on the computers there... Andrea briefly introduced me to what he was working on... What I gather is that he's working on a storage device for entangled photons, or photons in a quantum state. Got introduced to how such photons are created, and how polarisation of a photon is actually measured. It wasn't the regular direction of polarisation I had originally thought was being measured. Rather, it was the spin, or angular momentum of the photon which was carrying the infomation.Quite an insightful experience. Maybe I'll work in that field one day...

Some out of place comments...

Anyone reading my blog appreciates Jeffery Archer books? Yuch? Shian? I just saw a hard cover Jeffery Archer Sons of Fortune title going for £1.00! I know a good bargain when I see one, but hardly read myself... So if you want a nice christmas present specially from Cambridge, let me know!

Speaking of books, don't know if I should buy a sorta textbook to bring back to Singapore to study during the holidays... It's available in my library, so I haven't needed to buy it. Costs £17, and not sure if I'll be needing it after this course.

K, here's a substancial entry to make up for the lack of posts over the past few days...

No comments: