Gabriel's shared items

Monday, March 06, 2006

Meeting with Dr Franklin

Just came back from consulting my tutor about my difficulties, described the situation I was in - that I had been feeling very isolated, and that many times I'm stuck in my room at so many problems, without any channel for recourse.

And thankfully he was sympathetic to my position: he related how he had felt the same back while he was doing a Masters in History, as the only person living in the house doing history, and how he was able to find other people feeling the same to work with. So had felt somewhat at comforted to carry on describing my problem, and my options...

But when I first described to him that I realised that I was able to cope with the course given more time, or that being with people accelerated the rate at which I absorbed things, relating the two anecdotes: one about how I was able to do my first set of example sheets satisfectorily as I had a lot of time to work on it, and the other about how I could accomplish a lot if only I had someone to relate the question with.

He looked at me, and asked, what I wanted him to do by saying all these... Probably on his part, he was thinking all along about what he could do to solve the problems: and there's nothing he can do about the course, and nothing he could do about looking for mathmo's to work with. I've tried certain measures myself, but with limited success. One small part of me was hoping that he would be able to put me in a college with more mathmos, which would have been the best solution to the problem, looks like that was out of the question, so I didn't raise it...

So when I asked about changing my course as a way to solve the problem, he looked much more happy to help, as it was within his ability to do that. He looked up the requirements for switching to physics, and adviced that I should initiate the process soon, if I wished to change, and related the process of switching: how the NatSci DOS would be concerned about whether I would be able to cope with the course, and the Senior tutor would be concerned that it would incur more cost on the college.

So he suggested that I gave that a thought and told him of my decision when at the routine end of term meeting due in about a weeks time... At this stage, it's almost certain that I will choose to switch, unless something compelling made me change my mind, because it would be very difficult to switch if I were to raise the process at a later date, as the NatSci DOS might wish to interview me and stuff...

Ah well, looks like God's opening up this path... I wonder where it'll lead to... Should I chose to switch, Theoretical Physics would become an even more remote possibility than it is now. And perhaps I'll end up doing a post grad in engineering or something.

No comments: