Gabriel's shared items

Sunday, March 05, 2006

The week gone by

A week into revising my activities, and I've decided that I need more maths activities to get in touch with the math community.

Decided to launch the study group website, and publicised it during the lectures. Got a few responses, around 15, we had our first meeting on thursday. And we did an incredible amount of work in 2 hours! Hope we'll continue to be able to meet up...

Have also been considering my other options should I find maths too unfulfiling... Thought of switching to physics, and I've talked to a few people about it... Charles, Samuel, and this guy called Victor, a Part III Mathmo who did Physics at Imperial College. He's really enthusiastic about what he does, and really likes talking about maths and physics phenomena and theories, think we can become good friends :P

Sorta thought through the course of action I should take with Charles:
  1. I'll first see how this study group goes, and if we are able to meet up on a regular basis,
  2. and see how I do next term, and in the exams,
Before deciding whether to change to physics...

Samuel also raised the suggestion that I consider engineering, because there is no point changing to physics if I want to do theoritical physics, the mathematical route would be a better choice. Perhaps I'll consider that...

I figured I need to try and get myself in tuned with the latest developments in maths, thus I should take part in more math activities and socials... Did so today, with a competition organised by the Archemedeans, and yesterday, attending a special talk, and had dinner with the speakers later.

During dinner, sat beside Prof Imre Leader, our N&S lecturer last term. Chatted with him, and when I told him I was from Hughes Hall, he asked if I was the 'famous mathmo who turned up for the Peterhouse mock exam because the DOS accidentally sent the email to you'. Hm... Looks like there's talk of 'a mathmo who is so nice that he turned up for a mock exam he was informed of only a day before', circulating round the lecturers and supervisors.

Looks like there's a interesting mathmo community out there I should try becoming a part of...

And think I'll feel more at ease when I hang out with mathmos, than hanging out with the Christians or Singaporeans, while I have undone example sheets looming at the back of my mind.

No comments: