Gabriel's shared items

Sunday, July 24, 2005

turning twenty-one.

The past weekend was an eventful one, not least because I turned 21... As always, though this is an event I've wanted to blog about, I can't seem to find the words to describe it, and I don't know where to begin relating the story. Nevertheless, I shall try, and hope it turns out well...

Jul 23 2005 was anticipated for more than my 21st birthday. It was the date of the pre-departure briefing organised by the british council. An event which gathered all those travelling to the UK to study, and the organizations related with studying in the UK, student organisations like CUMSA. I've been looking forward to meet those singaporeans studying in, and going to Cam.

At the briefing, I met the some of the present students at Cam, as well as those students matriculating with me. I also found someone travelling there on 28 Sep. A potential travelling companion. Since the briefing, his mother and my mother have become good friends, they went to book the air tickets for us yesterday.

Meeting the people at the briefing invoked many feelings. While it was comforting to know people in the same boat, people who are faced with the the same problems as me, visa, medical, air tickets, etc; meeting them also invoked a strange feeling - the thought that these strangers i see now, would in the next 3 years, become the familiar faces I see around in my life. A life which I would be for running myself, without the security and presence of my family, or for that matter anyone I presently know. A life where my friends would become infinitely more important than the friends I've had in any previous phase of my life.

So much for the pre-departure briefing. I have many other thoughts and feelings, but I find it difficult to articulate them.

After the briefing, we went shopping around suntec city. We looked at lugguage bags, suits, and pants. My parents got me two Ashworth pants costing $42 each, fitted very nicely. Ok, here are the sizes for future references...
Pants - waist size: 32"/80cm.
Suit, i don't know what the size refers to but it is 50.

Then we adjourned to Top of the M, for dinner with Pastor John Tan, to celebrate my birthday. It was a great dinner, with the NDP rehersal happening at the padang, we had a great view of the aeroplanes and fireworks. There was also a group of musicians going round the tables and you could request for any song you fancied. They were really good, and I enjoyed the music.

And today I had a meal at Seoul Gardens with my good friends, had a wonderful time of reminiscing our secondary school days with my sec school mates. Glad that those who made it came, their company was the best present I could ask for. Yu Chou and Jian Qing, drivers from 46 SAR came too, my regret was that I wasn't able to catch up much with them as the conversation was dominated by topics from my secondary school. They left early and went for a movie. I hope that they at least enjoyed the meal.

Alright, I'll leave the un-publish-worthy account of my birthday at that. Wish to somehow capture this occasion, so here it is...

2 comments:

Rex said...

We all have to grow up, do what we have to do... I would just like to sit around all day spinning prose/writing songs but that's not really pratical...

houseowner said...

haha... i wish i were still 21!