Gabriel's shared items

Friday, October 07, 2005

More Lectures, Links & Lexicons.

Just came back from another day of lecture. Beginning to like it as I'm starting to learn new stuff. I learnt another subtle difference in some abbreviations used here in Cambridge. i.e. != e.g.

i.e.

An abbreviation for id est, a Latin phrase meaning “that is.” It indicates that an explanation or paraphrase is about to follow: “Many workers expect to put in a forty-hour week — i.e., to work eight hours a day.” (Compare e.g.)

e.g.

An abbreviation meaning “for example.” It is short for the Latin exempli gratia, “for the sake of example.” A list of examples may be preceded by e.g.: “She loved exotic fruit, e.g., mangoes, passion fruit, and papayas.” (Compare i.e.)
Also, for some reason I did not include WebMSN in my links yesterday. I'll use it quite often so shall add the link here.Web MSN

Erm, mentioned pizza yesterday but had too many things to write so forgot to elaborate... I've found the cheapest meal yet! 2 Pepperonni Pizzas for £2.49! That puts each meal way under the my £2 budget for a normal meal. One catch is that I'll need a conventional oven to properly bake the pizza. Threw the pizza into the microwave for 10 min yesterday, and got pepperonni flavoured biscuits =S. There's no food provided by college today again, so will find a better way to make my pizza. Perhaps on a pan...

No comments: