Gabriel's shared items

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Random Thoughts, Visiting SAJC and SAS, and bumping into lotsa people!

Had several theraputic conversations the past few days, mainly with different groups of friends from secondary school, with CK gugu, and with Alvin.

Been confiding in them about how tough the experience of my first term in Cambridge had been, how difficult it is to have no one doing the same course to casually hang out with. How beginning the term without an idea of what to expect, without really knowing the system, or anybody there, had contributed to my feeling like I've been dragged along during the term through the lectures, not anticipating anything, and returning back everyday to a deserted room to fight a hopeless fire of example sheets and lecture notes, and having no one to turn to for help.

On top of that, having to worry about daily things like food, laundry, banking matters, library books expiring.

Basically related how I dread returning to the same situation next term, but at the same time optimism that this term would be better.

Better because I know what I'll be returning to, I'll know my way around Cambridge better, because I know who I'll be meeting, I know what lectures will be like, I know where to find resources for the topics I'm doing, because I'll have a better computer through which I can stay connected with the world, better because I know what I want to achieve, and because I should be able to provide for my meals affordably, regularly, healthily.


So much for returning to Cambridge...


Yesterday!

Yesterday was CCA display day at SAS. Went to Potong Pasir Mac for breakfast, bumped into Boon Hao. Met Alvin, visited SAJC with him, spoke with DP, had a look around the new compound. Went to Sim Lim Square and to Bugis with Alvin for lunch.


Met Jonathan after at PS, made our way back to SAS. Met some teachers. Bumped into Daniel and Sam Chong helping the BB with their flying fox act. Loitered round the school, bumped into Maowei with the NCC. Learnt later from Daniel that Derrick was hosting a BBQ for dinner, two of us decided to go, so followed Daniel to SAJC to meet his mother, also met Mr Lim in the staff room. Followed Daniel back home to wait til dinner time.
While we were there, Daniel took out our Sec 1 class photo and JC yearbook. Started chatting about the days gone by, about our paths, and that of our peers. It wasn't too long ago when we were all together in that class and it was all we knew of, when being 21 years old and having completed army and beginning university, was a far fetched prospect hardly anyone could concieve, but here we are now!

Then went to Derrick's place for dinner, met more guys - Jeffery, Gerald, and a few of Derrick's JC classmates. Hanged around for a while then left with Jonathan. Took a cab back together, discussed with him along the way about the friendships made in our lives, through Sec Sch, JC, and NS, compared the differences, and expressed hopes that good friendship is not something consigned to the past.

No comments: