Gabriel's shared items

Friday, May 26, 2006

Shopping for Pleasure, and Confusing Sainsbury Cashiers

I never thought this would ever occur to me... I find myself making trips to Sainsbury and Asda just for the fun of it... I'm actually deriving enjoyment from shopping, and splashing on goodies just to feel happy.

I'd usually make leisurely trips to Sains or cycle down to Asda after I'm done with the day's supervisions, and buy myself packets of chocolates and low price biscuits, and today I bought some oranges and reduced price sandwiches even though I dont need them... I'm no longer shopping out of neccessity, but out of recreation.

And I found a way to get Sainsbury points at a much better rate than the 1% they are currently giving with their nectar reward points - Giving the cashiers inexact change causes them to get confused, and they often return an excess of the correct change. It's occured twice already - today, with me giving the cashier 5.09 pounds for a 2.99 pound purchase, to get rid of the pennys, and the cashier finding me a 3 pound change! =P

Unfortunately, being the honest anglo-saxon white protestant male cambridge scholar and gentleman student that I am, I corrected the cashier and exchanged the gold coin for a silver one with a tenth of it's value =(

But still, it's quite amusing...

2 comments:

creature comfort said...

hey u're learnin how littl intelligence dwells in e average white anglo-saxon protestant mind..i'm so proud of u Gab!!!hahahaha...juz dun start shop-liftin or any of dat sh*t..

Gabriel Wu said...

lol, I wont. But I was just really amused at the uniform fallibility of sainsbury cashiers!

Thought of initiating a curious study of what combination of loose cash and price would maximize your returns at Sainsbury payment counters!

No wonder supermarkets these days prefer debit cards.