Gabriel's shared items

Monday, April 23, 2007

That was quick!

Yay! Successfully ran Kubuntu on a virtualmachine player.

By following the instructions on this page.

And thanks rob, for informing me about the HUGE repository of Linux packages available for download on the srcf. I'm gonna familiarise myself with the installation of linux, and set up a suitable version on my home computer when i return in summer.

I love the way this allows one to install entire OS'es without worrying about spoiling a thousand dollar machine.

Also like how one may be able to get into a particular (i.e. programming) frame of mind in a linux environment, and switch out if it almost instantaneously, with a virtual machine. Think I'll look for a pet virtual machine to do my programming in, and conduct all such operations in that mode.

4 comments:

Shawn Tan said...

good that you're getting interested.. slowly experiment and try out the different distros till you find one that you like..

Anonymous said...

HEY GAB
HCH here man
Im so glad youve finally become a linux user.

i recommend the fedora core 6! (I use it for my feederbox server and its really good)

Its got so many feature, take a look at the screenshots of the GNOME desktop!

http://repeatedmonotony.blogspot.com/2007/03/undefined.html

Anonymous said...

:D ?

Hmmm.
comeon so make another post about your linux expedition, maybe some screenshots?

U going fedora then?

Gabriel Wu said...

Ok, i'll try fendora next :P