Gabriel's shared items

Thursday, April 28, 2005

sendmail, qmail, postfix, surgemail and whatnot

I've been exploring mail servers lately, and have come across the above terms, they are all mail servers... Just jotting down my findings in this entry for future reference.

I've been able to send my emails using some of smtp servers I've installed ( surgemail, and the IIS smtp server) through outlook, but whenever I try to send it through php using the mail function, the mail does not seem to get through even though it is free from any error messages. I'm not sure why, but I hope to resolve it so that I'd be able to send emails using php. I also intend, eventually, to be able to host email accounts on my mail server.

Other things I've learnt:
That "Qmail is a linux MTA and won't ever run on Windows.".
The origins of emails on howstuffworks.
I would also like to further explore surgemail.

I am now running the SMTP Server that comes with IIS, hoping to have a better understanding of how it works...

No comments: