Gabriel's shared items

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Me? Relief PE?!?!

I just recieved a call from SAS asking me if I'd be available for the next 2 days. So far, I did not have anything planned this week, so I told them that I was free, anticipating a post as a maths or science relief teacher. But I was told that I was going to do relief for PE! At first I was shocked, then dissapointed, cos I want to try my hand at proper teaching, not babysit hyperactive teens running around. And I was never ever enthusiastic about PE or anything to do with physical fitness. But I accepted it nevertheless, for a multitude of reasons:
1)I had nothing better to do at home, except surf the increasingly boring net, or play DotA (Yes, DotA!),
2) hopefully it would increase the chances of me doing proper relief teaching,
3) I'd be making better use of my time,
4) It's good money,
5) I like being back in school.

Since I returned from my trip of the UK, I've been trying to get tune my sleep cycles back to this time zone, but due to the absence of a need to wake up early, coupled with a vibrant nocturnal online community, my efforts have largely been futile. I hope that this new appointment would help jolt me back to a healthy routine.

Other things I need to do also are:
1) Getting the visa.
I'd need to ask the college for a letter of unconditional offer to proceed with the application. Also need to prepare the relevent documents. Once it's done, I'd need to pay a visit to the visa application office along Robinson Road.

2) Getting a medical check up for uni.
Need to fill up a form and get a chest x-ray.

3) Prepare for my birthday celebration.
Decide on the place to eat, inform all those i want to invite.

Anyway, I just got WC3 and FT last Saturday, and I've been playing every single night since. I was convicted the minute I bought it because,
1: it was pirated,
2: it has satanic, mythical characters.

But I think I'll continue to play it, as
1, it's been a long time since I last enjoyed playing a popular game,
2, it'll help me to identify with the youth, and
3, I don't have much at stake now (no exams), and
4, there's no chance I'd be addicted to it, as I wont have access to the game over in England, and
5, it's so cheap! Virtually free after the $10 purchase.
6, it puts my broadband subscription to good use.

The last time I was addicted to a popular game was back in 1997, to the original Red Alert. I followed the game very closely, and i knew all the statistics, all the prices, I somehow had an innate understanding of the game. When i played it, I had total awareness of the situation, and I had a plan to counter every tactic. But the it's popularity waned as other games became more popular, and i never really kept up with it cos i was unwilling to spend money on entertainment, and i felt that it was also a waste to spend effort in pursuing such transient things. And there were moments when I regretted not having enjoyed these pleasures, that's why I am allowing myself to indulge in it this time round.

On another topic:
x-rates.com A convinient way to monitor the movement of currencies. Will come in handy when deciding when to convert dollars to pounds.

No comments: