Gabriel's shared items

Friday, October 21, 2005

CUMSA Formal Hall at Churchill

Today was quite a fun evening. Went for my second formal hall at Churchill with all the Singaporeans, the second formal hall in two days! For the first time I was drinking under peer pressure. I don't usually succumb to peer pressure, but this time, I played along cos it was actually quite fun to penny people.
Winning isn't so fun when losing ain't that painful.
Downed 2 glasses of wine cos got pennied twice. My first penny came from Kaiting, who sneakily came up to me pretending to take a photo with me. I saw it coming. Knew that Kaiting couldn't be so nice as to wriggle his way around the chairs just to take a photo with me. But I had no way of guarding my glass =S. So 'plop' went the first penny. That was a Declaration of War. Had a penny on hand ready to get up to mischief, but was only held back by the prospect of people pennying me if I started pennying people. So when the first penny fell into my glass unprovoked, I immidiately stretched reached for my own penny and dropped it into Kenny's drink! So we both downed our glasses together.

The rest of the evening was quite merry, maybe cos of the wine. I was unfortunate enough to be seating at the corner of the table with the people around me itching to penny others, and me being one of the few possible targets. Actually I was the only target, with Royce, Chun Ghee and Kenny all trying to penny my drink. So had to keep up my guard throughout the dinner. Yet despite my preamptive measures, Kenny still managed to deftly penny my drink once. Was fortunate that the college does not provide a free flow of wine, so there were occassions when the wine was short on supply. That probrably saved me from a couple of glasses.

I had my share of pennying too. Actually I only pennied Kenny, and pennied all the useless things, like his water and coffee... Had crossed my mind when they opened a new bottle of wine to penny that, so that there won't be a chance that I would drink any of that wine, but didn't want to raise the stakes, in case it back fired.

As for the dinner itself, it was not as good as my own formal hall yesterday. But I'm experiencing a typical formal hall of normal (immature) colleges. Towards the end, it got rather rowdy, with people singing birthday songs, having the birthday person stand on the chair, and people started throwing bottle cocks at him, cos it was the most handy thing around. I had the urge to pick up a bottle cock myself and join the fun, but was restrained because it is not suppose to be in my character to do that. Chun Ghee on the other hand, started to throw the bottle cocks at a birthday boy near us. Very funny to be throwing the bottle cocks at total strangers who never ever offended you.

The dinner ended with one of the waiters chasing Royce out for throwing a bottle cock at someone across our table. It was blatent racism, and Kaiting was very drunk and upset after we left the hall. We had a group picture outside the college, and then people adjourned to several locations for bops, namely Sidney and Churchill.

Trackback 090106:
Found the pictures of that night on the Cumsa Webpage... Here they are:


The guys itching to penny me:
Kenny on the right, who successfully did so once,
Chun Gee, Nicholas and Royce.

The above mentioned plus Kaiting and Dexter...

The Group Photo


A herd of drunk Singaporeans...
What was I doing standing
at the side? o_O




So much for the dinner tonight. Another thing on my mind now is something I learnt (or could not understand) in lecture today. Goes by a very cool sounding name... Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality. Just searched google and jotting down this site. Hopefully will go through it some other time when I'm more sober.

Ah, beginning to enjoy the life here... Agenda for tomorrow: Frisbee with the Singaporeans and CCCF Cell, after 2 hours of lectures in the morning, that is. Also gotta get hold of some pictures! My blog lacks pictures! Hopefully will be better after I get the laptop when i go home in Dec, might also acquire a good digital cam.

2 comments:

houseowner said...

eh why cant singapore be so happening? *groans*

houseowner said...

oh and am i the 1000th visitor? haha