Gabriel's shared items

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Frisbee, Cookout @ Kenny's, Mars Observation, Panton Hall, Chinese Buffet.

That was my weekend... I've been here a whole month already! And I'm halfway through the term!

Frisbee's getting fun, as I get more proficient at tossing that disc around.

Second time I had dinner at Kenny's place, around the 4th time I visited him, visited him twice - once before the Cumsa Formal, another time before the Fresher's Cookout. Always enjoy going to his room. He always has soft music playing in the background, and he cooks very well, and it feels like you're eating healthily. Ate my fill yesterda night.

Decided to visit the observatory after dinner at Kenny's place, as it was relatively close by. Was a long, dark path into the observatory, with a light at the end of the path to aid your navigation. First time seeing Mars through a telescope, and now understand what it is like under those observation domes. It's really low tech, all the movement is manually operated. from openning the dome, to turning the telescope. But it was very cool! It was all connected with gears and ropes, when I first saw it, reminded me of the show Jumanji. Managed to see Mars, it appeared rather dissappointingly as a bright white blob through the telescope. Nevertheless, I could vaguely make out a dark band across half the planet. Though I was quite dissappointed by what I could see, on hindsight, that was an incredible experience. Stayed there til 12 plus, and walked back with a physics PhD student. Had a very enlightening conversation with him on the half hour journey back to town. He taught me how to spot the milky way, and where exactly (i.e. which part of the sky) the pictures of nebula's come from. Also have a better undearstanding of how doing a PhD here works.

I need a bike!

Went to Penton Hall today cos Lisheng was speaking. Followed them to lunch at a Chinese restarurant. Was a buffet charged at £5.00 per person. Basically have a buffet of all the items you can find at the mixed rice stall! Think it was quite worth while. Think what I ate can last me through dinner.

Ah! really need to catch up on my work!

And a few more things I need to do:
  1. Purchase Matric Photo tomorrow,
  2. Top up College Card,
  3. Ask the office if there are any bikes available.

No comments: