Gabriel's shared items

Friday, October 28, 2005

Cooking for Cell

Just came back from cell tonight. At Charle's place on Leinsfield road. Was scheduled to prepare dinner with him tonight, second time this week I was partnered with Charles to do dinner. Met him outside Sains at 4:30 to get groceries, almost a dejavu of what happened just this Monday when I met him to help him with the logistics of preparing a meal for 30 odd people, except this time Charles reached Sains earlier than me.
Bought the ingredients from Sains -
  1. 2 packets of Pork, £3.00 each
  2. 4 bunches of vegetables - called hearts of romaine, £0.90 for 2
  3. Garlic, Onion, around £1.00 worth
  4. Ham, £1.50
  5. Mushrooms, £1.00
  6. Eggs, £2.00 for 15
  7. Coke, £1.30
So the meal costed under £15.00 and fed around 10 people.

Helped with chopping up the vegetables, garlics, onions, mushrooms, and was solely responsible for the onion and ham omelette. Basically was reproducing what I saw Hui Xin doing on Monday. Had feedback that it was good, but don't know whether Daryl was being sarcastic and the rest were being nice.

Todays bible study was also very good. On the topic of not worrying, Matthew 6:25-34. Particularly comforted by the verse that says,
33For the pagens run after these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 34But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Was comforting to be reassured that God knows my needs, and I've had a lot of needs that I had to seek to satisfy on my own since I came. And sometimes I had no other options but to pray about it, and up til now, I've found my needs constantly being met.

Some of my needs here in Cambridge:
  1. Good Breakfast. Realised its importance on the first day when I did not even have a proper breakfast to begin the day.
  2. Good Lecture. I have lectures 6 days a week from 10 to 12. I'd be quite unsettled the rest of the day if I can't follow the lecture, and I'd be quite happy if I did understand the lecture.
  3. Proper Lunch. Preferably something not so costly, or I'd have a nagging feeling that I'm spending too much. And I need a proper meal to feel satisfied.
  4. Progress in my work. I'd usually do work after lunch, usually with the Fitz mathmos in their library. If I do have substancial progress in my work, that would be the icing on the cake. But spending time with mathmo's doing my work feels fulfilling enough, and helps me feel reassured that I am spending enough time doing what I am supposed to do.
  5. Good time with friends/events. I find that I like hanging out with the Singaporeans and people in my cell, like today, so ending the day like this generally feels good. If I am not at cell or some kind of Singaporean cookout, I'd usually find some event to go to e.g. Superstrings lecture, Astronomy lecture, MUN lecture, etc. Or I'd be in my room blogging or surfing the internet.
So, that's a list of things that make my day here in Cambridge.

No comments: